The climate crisis is at the forefront of public discussion. The UK government is working towards a pledge to reduce carbon emissions and achieve zero emissions by 2050. Businesses in all sectors must reduce their CO2 output. Between 1990-2020, the manufacturing industry was the fourth highest industry contributing to greenhouse gas emissions, highlighting the work needed to reduce emissions quickly and effectively.
Companies continue to find ways in which to combat the climate crisis, examples of this include:
- Ensuring packaging is fully recyclable, reusable or compostable.
- By becoming a ‘Carbon Neutral’ business.
- Planting trees to help absorb carbon dioxide and balance greenhouse gas emissions.
- Expanding the use of renewable energy with wind turbines.
- Machinery that runs on renewable energy and investing in multi-tasking equipment that cuts manufacturing time dramatically by getting more processes done in one go.
- Embedding sustainability into supply chains by ensuring sub-contracted manufacturers are also environmentally friendly.