Environmental Policy - Joseph Giles

A duty of care
for the environment.

The climate crisis is at the forefront of public discussion.  The UK government is working towards a pledge to reduce carbon emissions and achieve zero emissions by 2050.  Businesses in all sectors must reduce their CO2 output.  Between 1990-2020, the manufacturing industry was the fourth highest industry contributing to greenhouse gas emissions, highlighting the work needed to reduce emissions quickly and effectively.

Companies continue to find ways in which to combat the climate crisis, examples of this include:

  1. Ensuring packaging is fully recyclable, reusable or compostable.
  2. By becoming a ‘Carbon Neutral’ business.
  3. Planting trees to help absorb carbon dioxide and balance greenhouse gas emissions.
  4. Expanding the use of renewable energy with wind turbines.
  5. Machinery that runs on renewable energy and investing in multi-tasking equipment that cuts manufacturing time dramatically by getting more processes done in one go.
  6. Embedding sustainability into supply chains by ensuring sub-contracted manufacturers are also environmentally friendly.


Sustainability is at the forefront of everything we do at Joseph Giles.  This begins at the product design stage where careful thought is given to designing every new product with durability and longevity.  All of our products are made with solid brass (which is 100% recyclable), expertly engineered and hand-finished in our own workshop and our sub-contractors workshops around the UK.  As well as metals, our products encompass diverse and ecologically friendly materials such as leather, timber and glass.

> Click here to read more about the sustainability of brass

Made in Britain

Over 95% of Joseph Giles products are manufactured in our own workshop and our sub-contractors workshops around the UK, maintaining continuity and consistency, whilst also minimising our carbon footprint, the remaining 5% are made by sub-contractors in Europe.

Absorbing Carbon Dioxide

We are committed to ensuring we meet or exceed all relevant and current environmental legislation.  To demonstrate this, we have partnered with TreeApp where we have invested in the planting of 100 trees per month to help absorb our carbon dioxide use and balance greenhouse gas emissions.


Joseph Giles are working with a packaging consultant towards exclusive recycled and recyclable packaging throughout our operation process.  This is an essential environmental improvement and we consider this change as a business priority to help rebuild and recover our planet.


Where possible and in the overwhelming majority, recyclable materials are used in manufacture  – cardboard and metal wastes in particular, are recycled as well as any paper or plastic waste that is created from the kitchen and offices.  We endeavour to increase environmental awareness and understanding within the workforce to meet our environmental aims.

Salaries/Employee Wellness

We pay all our employees above average salaries to help them to maintain a healthier and greener lifestyle.

Electric Vehicles

To date, 50% of our company vehicles have now been moved over to electric or electric hybrid versions and we have planning to install charging points on our premises.  The couriers we use to send products to our customers are heavily investing in electric vehicles to their fleet and are on target to achieve 30% electric by the end of 2022.


Our machinery is serviced and maintained regularly to ensure optimum efficiency and minimal waste.  Any new machinery will absolutely meet all energy efficiency requirements.

Sub-Contracted Manufacturers

We chose our working partners very carefully and are very pleased that they are committed to minimising the impact of their operations on the environment.  Collectively they are reducing their environmental impact in a number of ways.  These include (but not limited to) upgrading all lighting to LED; all waste is either recycled or disposed of by a certified waste disposal company; the use of recycled paper throughout the business; changing to paper cups in the factory environment; auditing machinery; using renewable electricity and replacing diesel transportation with electric alternatives.

Joseph Giles will continually review this policy in the light of any new knowledge, change in legislation and public concerns that may arise.